Welcome to the ultimate guide to getting the best results out of your Simply Better Barrier™ moisturiser. Whether you're dealing with eczema, dryness or sensitivity, this comprehensive guide will provide you with step-by-step instructions on how to maximise the benefits of our repair and relief cream. Get ready to unlock healthy, balanced and comfortable skin. Let's dive in!
3 Simple Steps to Using Simply Better Barrier™
1. Preparing the Skin
Before applying Simply Better Barrier™, cleanse your skin using a mild, low pH cleanser that is fragrance-free and essential oil-free. Gently pat your skin dry with a soft, clean towel, leaving some moisture on your skin.
Tip: Consider using cotton, bamboo, muslin or microfiber towel for eczema-prone skin.
2. Applying Simply Better Barrier™
Dispense a pea-sized amount of Simply Better Barrier™ onto your fingertips. Gently massage the moisturiser onto your face, neck, hands, or other parts of your body using circular motions until fully absorbed. Feel free to adjust amount as needed.
Tip: For best results, apply Simply Better Barrier™ immediately or within 3 minutes after cleansing, while the skin is still slightly damp. Moisturise your skin every time it is subjected to water, such as after hand-washing.
3. Sealing in the Goodness
Once Simply Better Barrier™ is fully absorbed, apply a thin layer of unscented ointment or balm such as Vaseline® Healing Jelly Original, to keep the moisture sealed in for longer. This step is particularly beneficial in dry environments or air-conditioned rooms.
Note: Contrary to popular belief, refined petroleum jelly, or petrolatum, is generally one of the safest and most well-tolerated skincare ingredients. Dermatologists have recommended petroleum jelly as a skin protectant for decades. Vaseline® Jelly is tripled-filtered to ensure it is free from impurities and safe for use. If you prefer plant-based options, you can use other occlusive agents like shea butter, cocoa butter, or jojoba oil, which offers similar benefits. You may either mix the plant oil with Simply Better Barrier™ before applying or apply it as the last step by spreading it on your palms and patting it in.
10 Ways to Include Simply Better Barrier™ into Your Skincare Routine
Simply Better Barrier™ is a versatile barrier repair and relief cream that easily integrates into your skincare routine. Here are some ways to incorporate it:
1. Daily Moisturiser: Use Simply Better Barrier™ during the day and/or night as a lightweight, non-sticky moisturiser on your face, hands, or body to keep your skin soft, supple, and well-hydrated.
2. Eczema and Rosacea Relief: Apply Simply Better Barrier™ to targeted areas to soothe eczema and rosacea flare-ups, redness, itching, and other skin irritations.
3. Retinization Support: Apply Simply Better Barrier™ on skin after using topical retinoids such as tretinoin (e.g. Retin-A, Renova), adapalene (e.g. Differin), retinol, and retinaldehyde to support the skin during the initial stages, minimising irritation and discomfort, while improving the skin's retinoid tolerance.
Note: Retinoids are a class of compounds derived from vitamin A that are commonly used for acne treatment, anti-aging, hyperpigmentation concerns, psoriasis, keratosis pilaris, improving skin tone and texture. Retinoids can be potent and may cause dryness, skin irritation (i.e. retinoid dermatitis), purging, and increased sensitivity during the adjustment period.
4. Isotretinoin Support: Use Simply Better Barrier™ while on oral isotretinoin treatment (e.g. Accutane, Roaccutane) to combat dryness and flakiness.
5. Post-Procedure Recovery: Apply Simply Better Barrier™ after skin procedures such as chemical peels, IPL, laser resurfacing, micro-needling, microdermabrasion, and tattooing to soothe and protect the skin, promote faster healing, and aid in the recovery process.
6. Makeup Base: Use Simply Better Barrier™ to smooth rough areas, prevent makeup from settling into fine lines or creases, and minimise imperfections. It helps to create a smooth canvas for even makeup application and a polished appearance that lasts longer throughout the day.
7. Tinted Moisturiser: Mix Simply Better Barrier™ with your foundation to help it spread and blend onto your skin more easily, preventing it from clinging to dry patches. Adjust the ratio of moisturiser to foundation to customise coverage and finish according to your preference.
8. Lip Care: Apply Simply Better Barrier™ to your lips to keep them soft and protected from dryness and cracking. For enhanced nourishing effects, you can apply your lip balm over it.
9. Cuticle Cream: Massage Simply Better Barrier™ into your cuticles and nails to hydrate and condition them, keeping them healthy and less brittle.
10. Sunburn Soother: Apply Simply Better Barrier™ to sunburned areas to reduce the severity of peeling and flaking and support the healing process.
Additional Tip: How to Do a Skin Patch Test at Home
Everyone’s skin is unique, so it’s important to patch test new products (one product at a time) before incorporating them into your routine. Follow these 6 steps to patch test safely at home:
1. Choose a small area: Select a small patch of skin, such as the jawline below either ear, the elbow crook, or the inner wrist, free from existing irritation or skin issues.
2. Cleanse the area: Use a mild, low pH cleanser without fragrances or essential oils to cleanse the patch test area. Gently pat it dry with a soft, clean towel.
3. Apply small amount: Apply a small amount of the product you want to test to the patch test area.
4. Wait and observe: Leave the product on the skin for 24 hours, avoiding getting the area wet or sweaty. Optionally, cover the area with a bandage.
5. Check for reactions: After 24 hours, assess the patch test area for any signs of reactions like redness, itching, swelling, rash, or irritation. If you experience any adverse reactions, wash off the product immediately and discontinue use.
6. Interpret the results: If no adverse reactions occur, it suggests your skin may be compatible with the product. However, note that delayed reactions can sometimes happen. If you have eczema, rosacea, or sensitive skin, repeat the patch test daily for 7 to 10 days.
Important consideration: Patch testing does not guarantee that you will not experience any adverse effects in the future. If you experience persistent or severe reactions to any skincare product, discontinue use and consult a dermatologist or medical professional.
Congratulations! With these tips and tricks, you now know how to use Simply Better Barrier™ effectively in your daily skincare routine. Embrace its power to unlock the best version of your skin!